Our HistoryCreating a Community Legacy
Establishment and Growth
- North Shore Community Foundation Administration Fund established
- North Shore Community Foundation incorporated as the North Shore Charitable Trust with an initial endowment of $1550 (the Foundation’s name was later changed to the North Shore Community Foundation in 1999). The Foundation was set up in response to community needs. Founders included citizens drawn from the community who were committed to creating a Community Foundation aimed at improving the lives of the residents of the North Shore. The Foundation’s geographic area is Deep Cove to Lion’s Bay and includes Bowen Island. Founding directors included: Marie Pearce (first President), John Roger Clark, Joan Whittow, Sherrill Hardy, Olga Kempo, Norman Smith, Isobel Gibson, Salim Kaderali, David Pink, Sheila Gilmour, Jacqueline Coinner.
- Our inaugural annual report notes: “We must look forward with enthusiasm to a new phase in our activity, very much directed to the establishment of capital funds, the interest of which will benefit many facets of our community life.”
- Marie Pearce (Founders) Fund established in memory of one of the Foundation’s pioneering members
- Olga Kempo Womens Fund established in memory of one of the founding members of the Foundation
- Founders’ Cultural Fund established
- District of North Vancouver Heritage Fund established
- Senna and Nicole Strongman Memorial Awards Fund established (expanded in 2010)
- North Vancouver Community Arts Council Youth Cultural Development Fund established
- North Vancouver Museum and Archives Endowment Fund established
- Rotary Fund established (revised 2012)
- Judy Dennis Emerging Artist Training Fund established
- North Vancouver Minor Hockey Scholarship Fund established
Meeting Community Needs
- North Shore Union Board of Health Legacy Fund established
- Sheila Jones Seniors’ Fund established
- Together Against Violence Legacy Fund established
- The Foundation established the North Shore Mayors’ Golf Tournament, which has become an annual fundraising event for the Foundation.
- City of North Vancouver Youth Centennial Scholarship established
- North Shore Neighbourhood House Endowment Fund established
- Mayors’ Community Trust Fund established
- the Foundation establishes its 20th endowment fund
Growth and Golf
- Foundation reaches the milestone of $2 million in endowments across 20 funds.
- Foundation celebrates our 25th Anniversary of giving back to the community
- Heed Youth Sports Fund established
- Total grants assistance disbursed since the establishment of the Foundation in 1988 tops $1 million
- Foundation extends grant assistance in excess of $180,000 to various community organizations that directly benefit and improve the lives of the North Shore’s residents
- The North and West Vancouver branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association is selected as the designated charity for the 8th Annual North Shore Mayor’s Golf Tournament
- Foundation reaches the milestone of $3.1 million in endowment capital.
- The North Shore Schizophrenia Society is selected as the designated charity for the 9th Annual North Shore Mayors’ Golf Tournament
- In honour of the 10th annual Mayors’ Golf Tournament and in celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday, two designated charities were selected to each receive $35,000. Quest Food Exchange and Turning Point Recovery Society are both worthwhile and active organizations on the North Shore.